Saturday, May 05, 2007

Ben Gibbard Rocks the Metro


Sarah and I were at the Metro in Wrigleyville to take in a great show: solo performances by David Bazan (pictured below from Pedro the Lion) and Ben Gibbard (Death Cab For Cutie, Postal Service). Oh, and Johnathan Rice. Pedro the Lion (now defunct) is one of my favorite bands and David played a lot of Pedro songs, as well as songs from his new EP and a cover of Bob Dylan's "The Man In Me." Unfortunately, most of the crowd was only there for Ben and talked loudly throughout Bazan's acoustic set, which really annoyed me. Ben Gibbard was so good, playing an hour and a half long set featuring mainly Death Cab and Postal Service songs. While sitting at the piano, he announced he was going to play a cover from a "relatively obscure band from my hometown [Seattle]" and then launched into "All Apologies" by Nirvana. He had a great time with the crowd, telling funny stories and handling the incessant requests with grace. I was happy to see his interactions with the crowd because I had heard he can be an elitist snob (from Mancow) but he seemed to be nothing of the sort. Apparently David and Ben are good friends. Their lyrics definitely come from very different perspectives on faith. Bazan is a Christian and often sings about the highs and lows of Christian faith with refreshing honesty, as on "Secrets of an Easy Yoke: "could someone please tell me the story of sinners ransomed from the fall? I still have never seen you, and some days I don't love you at all." Ben, on the other hand appears to be agnostic. In Death Cab's wildly popular "I Will Follow You Into the Dark," he gives insight into what I find to be a very depressing view:
In Catholic school as vicious as Roman rule
I got my knuckles brusied by a lady in black
And I held my toungue as she told me "Son fear is the heart of love"
So I never went back

If heaven and hell decide/That they both are satisfied
Illuminate the no's on their vacancy signs
If there's no one beside you/When your soul embarks
Then I'll follow you into the dark
I highly recommend both of these artists. Must haves are Pedro the Lion - It's Hard to Find a Friend and the Postal Service - Give Up. Also check out Death Cab For Cutie - Plans, Transatlanticism, and Photo Album.



No comments: